Laboratory and Environment Deputy Manager, Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa
Aida Mabjaia holds a BSc in chemical engineering from Universidade Eduardo Mondlane, Mozambique and a post graduate on environmental impact assessment and environmental management. She has 12 years of experience in environment management. Aida Mabjaia has worked at Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa since 2008 in various positions, including senior environmental officer, environmental management system coordinator, head of environmental management department and currently, laboratory and environment deputy manager.
Some of the functions Aida deals with in her current position include:
- reservoir water quality and sediment management
- performing daily activities in line with environmental legal requirements of Mozambique, international good practices and internal standards
- adequate environmental management of all activities throughout planning, implementing, assessing, verifying and monitoring
- compliance to the company Environmental Policy at all stages and Implementation of Environmental Management System (EMS)
- monitoring and reports on initiatives and programmes designed to control and prevent negative impact on the environment
- acting in prevention, reduction or control of negative impacts on the environment and continuous improvement of the company environmental performance
Before joining Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa, she worked on a Mozambican Aluminum Smelter (Mozal) as a waste management specialist.