IHA announces results of 2019 board elections
12 July 2019
Eighteen hydropower sector leaders from around the world have been elected to the board of the International Hydropower Association (IHA), it was announced today.
The new board will begin its two-year mandate in September 2019, and will guide IHA’s work and priorities for the period.
The results of the IHA board elections were announced on 12 July after voting closed at midnight on 10 July. Candidates competed in each of the world’s six regions, and those elected are listed below.
IHA Chief Executive Richard Taylor said: “These distinguished individuals bring a tremendous wealth of experience from across the sector and offer diverse perspectives on hydropower activities worldwide. I would like to congratulate our board members, especially those elected for the first time.
“Through the board, our members and our partners, IHA is committed to advance sustainable hydropower. Our programmes build and share knowledge on hydropower’s role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions.”
According to IHA's statutes, a maximum of six candidates may be elected from any one region, and no more than three candidates from the same country.
Once the board is constituted in September 2019, it will select the President of IHA and up to six Vice Presidents from among its members.
The 2019 Board election results are:
North and Central America
- Ms Christine CANTIN - Senior Advisor, Relations Outside Québec, Hydro-Québec
- Mr Colin CLARK - Chief Technical Officer, Brookfield Renewable
- Mr Herbie JOHNSON - General Manager, Hydro Southern Company
- Mr Gil MARANHÃO NETO - Chief Strategy, Communications and CSR Officer, ENGIE Brasil
- Mr José Maria SÁNCHEZ TILLERÍA - Technical Director, Itaipu Binacional
- Mr Tron ENGEBRETHSEN - Senior Vice President, International Hydro, Statkraft AS
- Mr Thibault DESCLÉE DE MAREDSOUS - Chief Marketing Officer, GE Renewable Energy
- Mr Frédéric HOFMANN - Vice-President in charge of Development, EDF Hydro, EDF
- Dr Óli Grétar Blöndal SVEINSSON - Executive Vice President Research and Development, Landsvirkjun
- Mr Uwe WEHNHARDT, President and CEO of Voith Hydro, Voith Hydro Holding GmbH & Co. KG
- Mr Anton-Louis OLIVIER - CEO, Renewable Energy Holdings (Pty) Ltd
- Mr Moisés MACHAVA - Executive Director, Hidroelétrica De Cahora Bassa
South and Central Asia
- Mr Evgeniy TIKHONOV - Strategy and Development Director, EuroSibEnergo JSC
East and Pacific Asia
- Mr Roger GILL - Non-Executive Director, Pacific Hydro
- Mr Sharbini SUHAILI - Group Chief Executive Officer, Sarawak Energy Berhad
- Ms Tammy CHU - Managing Director, Entura, Hydro Tasmania
- Dr WU Shiyong - Deputy General Manager, Yalong River Hydropower Development Company Ltd
- Mr ZHANG Dingming - Executive Vice President, China Three Gorges Corporation
Find out more about IHA's work programmes in the IHA Activity and Strategy Report.