Adopting the Water-Energy-Food-Environment Nexus for a water-wise energy transition
The International Hydropower Association will host an event at this year's UN Water Conference on 'Adopting the Water-Energy-Food-Environment (WEFE) Nexus for a water-wise energy transition', alongside partners from:
- Tajikistan Ministry of Energy and Water Resources
- ITAIPU Binacional
- Executive Committee for the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea
- Aga Khan Foundation
- World Bank
- University of Central Asia
- USAID (Central Asia Region)
The event hosted at the UN's Headquarters in New York will feature presentations on insights from the application of the WEFE Nexus approach and benefits of sustainable hydropower investments.
Additionally, it will include a Q&A on developing water and energy sector interconnections, climate resilience across the water, energy, agriculture and environment sectors, hydropower sustainability, collaboration between countries with a focus on water supply, energy sufficiency and food security, and more.
Speakers and moderators will include:
- H.E. Daler Jum'a Shofaqir, Minister of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan
- H.E. Jamshed Shoimzoda, Deputy Minister of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Kishwar Abdulalishoev, CEO of the Aga Khan Foundation
- Dr. Maria Antonia Gwynn, member of the Governing Council, Itaipu Binacional
- Eileen Burke, Global Lead for Water Resources at the World Bank
- Gulzada Azhetova, Water and Environment Project Management Specialist, United States Agency for International Development
- Maura Barry Senior Deputy Assistant Administrator and Interim Global Water Coordinator, United States Agency for International Development
- Esteban Boj Garcia, Head of Water Resources Management in GIZ Tajikistan
- Professor Roy Sidle, Director of Mountain Societies Research Institute, University of Central Asia
- Alex Campbell, Head of Research and Policy, International Hydropower Association
- Dr. Lei Xie, Energy Policy Manager, International Hydropower Association
A stream will be made available for those who wish to watch this event online. A link will be circulated closer to the event.